Here are links to a series of four videos from a four-part Frontline® public television series originally broadcasted in 1998 and entitled From Jesus to Christ. An additional resource that I highly recommend is L. Michael White's From Jesus to Christianity, published by Harper Collins. Dr. White was the primary consultant for the Frontline series and the content of the book dovetails nicely with the content of the broadcast videos.
These resources are meant to provide an introduction to the literary and historical foundations of the New Testament, especially for those of you will take SCS 105, Overview: Christian Scriptures from Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute and for those who will take FU1047, Christian Scriptures from the Unity Urban Ministerial School. To help in your study, resources and links to relevant material is placed on each page. By watching the video, reading Michael White's book and following the links you should have a good foundation for taking these classes.
Click here for the syllabus for SCS 105 Overview Christian Scriptures from Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute. The course learning objectives are:
- Describe and explain the four major divisions of the Christian Scriptures: Gospel, Letter, History, Apocalyptic literature
- Explain the criteria process of canonization as it applies to the Christian Scriptures
- For each of the four canonical Gospels, describe the view of Jesus the writer presents
- Examine the emergence of the Christian church as an organization separate from Judaism
- Describe the essential elements of the Apostle Paul’s theology
- Describe the significance of the Book of Revelation
Click the next link to watch the first broadcast and to review the related content.