- Effectual Prayer: Chapter 7 — The Message
1. THE MESSAGE OF THE SILENCE
- No one can tell another person what is to come to him in the Silence.
- No one can tell another what he will bring back with him into his life.
- Each one of us goes to God with different needs, in different states of consciousness, taking different steps in search of Him.
- Some go round about—some go direct.
- We receive according to our capacity. The degree of faith determines the capacity.
- If we desire to have our prayers answered in full and running over measure, we must ask seeing the work already accomplished. "ALL THINGS, WHATSOEVER YE SHALL ASK IN PRAYER, BELIEVING, YE SHALL RECEIVE."
- It takes a great hunger and thirst after God — an intense desire to be like Him — to find entrance into the most holy place. "Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled."
- The higher the soul reaches in its aspiration to find God the greater will be the message and the richer the gifts.
- Whatever the human heart craves, whatever the body needs, will be given in the SILENCE. For whenever a cry goes from the heart Godward, God will answer, "HERE AM I. Do you need me? I am there."
- When we learn to draw near to the Father we will find the help we seek.
2. HOW LONG FOR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED
- How long did it take you to dig the pit?
- We should not count on the answer to prayer taking time, but we have to be willing to give it all the time it takes.
- But the answer to prayer does come.
- It comes as an act of the creative Spirit that made and rules the world.
- We pray and work, and there is no visible sign that anything is taking place. Then one day, of a sudden, the process is complete and the answer to our prayer comes forth.
- Keep practicing prayer and meditation. Remember J.G. Holland's words:
"Heaven is not reached in a single bound
But we build the ladder by which we rise
From the lowly earth to the vaulted skies
And mount to its summit round by round."
- Life never gives us a life already lived...but a life to be lived.
- Life never makes a tree already grown...but a tree to grow.
- Nothing is ever finished...everything is to grow.
- God gives us the seed of healing, the seed of prosperity, the seed of happiness. What we do with the seed-idea is up to us.
- Remember, God — God only — answers prayer.
- Our part is to make ourselves receptive and let the answer come.
- We make ourselves receptive through much prayer and meditation.
- Prayer takes practice.
- Often we pray a few times and seeing no results, give up, saying, "Prayer does not work."
- Prayer does work!
- Practice the Presence. Meditate daily. Pray often. Talk to God. Then in silence listen for an answer. Pray believing. Know with assurance that God does answer. He cooperates. He lets.
- Close the lesson with a prayer of realization and thanksgiving:
I thank you, Father, that I am because you are and that I am what I am because you are what you are.
I thank you for this consciousness of unity with You.
My soul is glad, my heart rejoices, and all that is within me blesses Your holy name.