Source: Unity Institute Syllabus
- Unity’s prayer ministry began as The Society of Silent Help in 1890.
- Local societies were formed around the United States.
- Societies met for a nightly prayer time, first at 10:00 P.M., then at 9:00 P.M. because so many members were farmers who needed to rise early.
- Silent Unity prayer ministries have been organized in a number of countries throughout the world.
- Myrtle Fillmore -- director until 1916
- May Rowland -- director from 1916 to 1971
- James Dillet Freeman -- director from 1971-1983
- John Strickland -- director from 1983 to 1991
- Mary Alice and Richard Jafolla co-directors of prayer activities from 1991-1997
- Lynn Brown -- director of Silent Unity from 1997 to present
- Today Silent Unity answers prayer requests by mail, telephone, TDD, and e-mail
- Plans to receive prayer requests by text message are being discussed