Skip to main content
Question Helps for students of Mysteries of John
- What is the original creative word or logos?
- Explain why the Word and the divine creative process are identical.
- What is the metaphysical significance of the Book of John?
- Explain the parallel between Genesis and John in relation to the ideal man.
- What does John the Baptist represent?
- What is the nature of the rock upon which Jesus built?
- What is the true light?
- How do we become children of God?
- When was the "Christ or Word" incorporated into man's being?
- Why are receptivity and belief essential?
- How does the Word become flesh?
- What is meant by "The law was given through Moses"?
- Explain the statement "Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."
- Compare discernment with intellectual perception.
- Explain the office of "baptism through denial, plus forgiveness" in the regenerative process.
- Why is the recognition of oneself as the "Son of God" of primary importance?
- What does baptism by John the Baptist symbolize?
- What is the nature of the Father-Mind?
- What is the function of the Holy Spirit?
- How is the spiritual mind cultivated?
- What mental attitudes are necessary to "put on Christ"?
- What is the result of conscious recognition of the Christ Mind?
- What quality does Andrew represent? Why is it important?
- What is the metaphysical significance of Philip, Andrew, and Peter's being of the city of Bethsaida?
- Why is it wise to develop the faculty of imagination under the direction of Spirit?
- What does Bartholomew represent?
- What is "consciousness"? "Form"?
- What spiritual faculty is necessary for penetrating into the "fourth dimension."
- What is the spiritual interpretation of marriage? Of Mary? Of Eve? Of Jesus? Of the disciples?
- What does the name Cana mean? Galilee? Philip?
- What mind activities are involved in the process of regeneration?
- Give the inner meaning of "waterpots."
- Explain "I, if I be lifted up . . . will draw all men unto myself."
- What does the marriage in Cana of Galilee symbolize? Give the symbolism of this miracle in detail.
- What does Capernaum designate?
- What does the Passover symbolize?
- Name the steps taken in body cleansing. Why must we deal with the mind in both the absolute and the relative?
- Symbolically what is "the Christ light"?
- How is a thought atmosphere produced?
- Explain Paul's admonition "Think on these things."
- What is the result of man's mastery of mind?
- When is the word of God fulfilled in man?
- Is Truth self-evident?
- What does Nicodemus stand for in individual consciousness?
- What is the "new birth"?
- What are the steps in evolution?
- How is permanent peace to be established?
- How is man restored to the heavenly state?
- What does believing in Jesus do for man?
- How do we become like Jesus Christ?
- How do we experience salvation?
- What is represented by Jesus? By Judea? Metaphysically interpreted, what is the relationship of Jesus and John the Baptist?
- What does Samaria represent? Sychar?
- Where is "Jacob's well" situated?
- Interpret metaphysically Jesus' resting by Jacob's well.
- How does one worship God truly?
- What is the spiritual significance of Jesus' journey from Judea to Galilee?
- What is the "well of water springing up unto eternal life"?
- Is the subconscious the true source of wisdom? Why do you answer as you do?
- What is the symbology of the Samaritans' being regarded as pretenders by the Israelites?
- From what sources does the soul draw its life? What is the ultimate source?
- What is the explanation of spiritual things on a material basis?
- In what way is Christ the discerner of thoughts?
- Explain metaphysically the relation between Jews and Gentiles.
- Jesus met the Samaritan woman by Jacob's well. Interpret.
- Distinguish between intellectual reasoning and Spiritual perception.
- Differentiate between the outer symbol of worship and worship in Spirit.
- Is spiritual substance omnipresent? Explain.
- Why is God no respecter of persons?
- Why is it important for man to apprehend the laws of Spirit?
- Why is absent healing possible? Give an instance of such healing.
- What is the result when we attain oneness with the spiritual forces that move the mind?
- What does Jerusalem represent?
- Metaphysically interpreted, what is a feast in Jerusalem?
- What do sheep symbolize?
- Interpret spiritually the Pool of Bethesda and its five porches.
- Why is the work of Spirit not confined to physical activities?
- Why does divine life take no cognizance of intellectual laws?
- What is the place in demonstration of the "sabbath of the Lord"?
- What is the living power back of all nature?
- Is the divine creative power continually alive?
- Explain the relationship between the Father and the Son.
- How does one honor the Christ?
- Should one exercise wisdom in handling the life one has? Why?
- What is the process involved in "raising the dead"?
- Explain the relationship between judgment and love.
- 1Why can one not successfully substitute the Scriptures for the living Word?
- How did Jesus create?
- Why is the Bible not the living Word of God?
- Why is it important to have an understanding of soul anatomy and the mind centers in the body?
- Explain the nature of the I AM.
- What part do the spiritual faculties have in the activity of the I AM?
- How does one learn to live by the "living bread"?
- What is the spiritual significance of Jesus and His disciples' going to the mountain?
- Why did Jesus withdraw "into the mountain himself alone"? What is the significance of this for us today?
- Explain the relationship between faith and power in one's walking "upon the waves of life."
- What is the nature of the true source of substance?
- Explain the interpretation of the Almighty as El Shaddai.
- What process is involved in bringing spiritual substance into manifestation?
- What is meant by the "last day"?
- What is the nature of the body of Christ?
- What is the true inner self of every individual?
- How does one form one's environment, one's heaven or hell?
- 1How do words become active in the body?
- Why did Jesus' disciples want Him to go up to Jerusalem?
- What human limitation of His ability to demonstrate did Jesus experience?
- Explain the difference between the Pharisaical mind and the spiritual mind.
- What effect does the outpouring of the Holy Spirit have within the soul?
- What is the procedure for handling a mixed state of consciousness?
- What is symbolized by the chief priests and officers?
- What does Nicodemus' spiritual conversion prove?
- What is represented by Jesus' going up to the Mount of Olives?
- What bearing does the story of the woman taken in adultery have on our own unfoldment?
- Explain the Scripture "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life."
- How does man hinder his soul unfoldment? How can he accelerate it?
- Why must man abide in the Truth?
- How does man gain freedom? What part does concentration play in the quest of freedom?
- What is the result of ancestor worship?
- How does man bind himself to race beliefs regarding ancestry? How can he free himself?
- What is a liar and the "father" of all lies?
- Explain Jesus' words "Before Abraham was born, I am."
- Interpret the three parts in the Trinity? What is the "word"?
- Why were Jesus' words so powerful?
- Can man overcome death? Does this include death of the body?
- What is the general theme of John 9?
- Distinguish between the tents and tabernacles in which the Israelites lived and Solomon's Temple.
- Explain why the sin of omission is greater than the sin of commission?
- What is man's real work?
- What is the significance of the clay placed upon the blind man's eyes? Of its being washed away?
- Explain the reaction that sometimes follows the activity of the "Jews" and "Pharisees" in consciousness?
- What are the sheep mentioned in John 10? The "thief and a robber"? The porter? The "good shepherd"?
- What part does man's own volition play in his reformation?
- What is the result when the higher and lower forces are "married"?
- What is the legitimate "door" through which spiritual energy enters man's consciousness?
- What does Solomon's Porch symbolize?
- How can a person be sure he is listening to the "still small voice"?
- Metaphysically interpreted, what is the significance of Jesus' activity near the Jordan?
- What does the name Lazarus mean? What does Lazarus represent?
- What happens when man fails to recognize God as the origin and support of his life? What is the remedy for such a condition?
- Describe one of the first steps in body restoration.
- In what way does affirming life for another help one to overcome death?
- Why do people grow old?
- How is the "stone" rolled away?
- Why is it important to give thanks for the manifestation even before it appears?
- Explain why Jesus "cried with a loud voice."
- Does the mind always accept Truth without question?
- Explain the symbology of Jesus' withdrawal into Ephraim.
- What does the Feast of the Passover represent?
- What do we mean by the "fruit" of our thought?
- What is the metaphysical significance of Mary's and Martha's serving Jesus?
- What is symbolized by the anointing of Jesus' feet by Mary?
- How does sense consciousness betray man?
- How does love heal?
- Are "signs" something to be desired for their own sake?
- How is equilibrium restored?
- "We lose our life in the service of the good." Explain.
- What was Jesus' mission on earth?
- Explain why Jesus had no real cause for worry.
- What is represented by the multitude referred to in verse 34?
- What state of consciousness results when the "Pharisaical intellect" rules?
- Where does the preponderance of power in man lie? What is the true glory of man?
- Can man live unto himself alone? Justify your answer.
- How did sin come into the world? How is it cast out? How did Jesus become the universal Saviour?
- How can man appropriate His life essence and repay Jesus for His great sacrifice?
- What is soul unfoldment? How did Jesus teach it?
- How does one become truly great?
- Discuss the symbology of Jesus' washing His apostles feet.
- How can one help mankind cleanse their understanding?
- Why did Judas betray Jesus? Why did Jesus permit the betrayal?
- What is true glorification?
- Upon what spiritual quality does the preservation of Christianity depend?
- Explain the relationship between the Father and the Son.
- Explain "I go to prepare a place for you." Why did Jesus use the word "mansions"?
- How does man find the Father? How does the Father principle operate?
- What faculty does Philip represent? How does this faculty attain its highest expression?
- What is the cause of and remedy for man's failure to demonstrate?
- Why is attention so vital in sustaining our spiritual relation to the Father?
- Where is the Spirit of truth? How is it brought into active touch with our consciousness?
- Explain the Scripture "Ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also" and "In that day we shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."
- In what sense is the individual man all that Jesus claimed He was? How does he make it manifest?
- How does Jesus manifest Himself to us today?
- What is the nature and character of the "personality" of the Holy Spirit?
- Explain the relation of Jesus to the Father.
- Why must man make intelligent use of his talents and faculties?
- Explain how the power of the word functions through the I AM.
- When does man cease to strive in external ways?
- Give the method used to establish command over the real forces of Being.
- Why did Jesus call the apostles "friends"?
- Name the functions of the Holy Spirit.
- What is the cause of persecution?
- Why was it expedient for Jesus to go away?
- What is your conception of the Holy Spirit?
- Jesus said, "A little while, and ye behold me no more; and again a little while, and ye shall see me." Elucidate.
- In reality what is man?
- What in consciousness is "the crucifixion"?
- Jesus said, "In that day ye shall ask me no question." Clarify.
- In terms of mind what are "dark sayings"? Interpret "The night is far spent, and the day is at hand"?
- For what was Jesus asking when He said, "Glorify thy Son, that the Son may glorify thee"? For whom did He pray?
- When had Jesus made union with the Father?
- To what extent does one experience wholeness of mind and body?
- What soul attitudes are necessary to the production of the new race?
- Explain why man must change the basis of his thinking from a grosset plane to that of pure mind.
- Does God always answer prayer? What is the highest form of prayer?
- What attitude of mind is involved in selfless prayer?
- What is sanctification? What is its result?
- What is man's highest attainment?
- Discuss obliteration of individual consciousness versus expansion of the soul?
- What does Kidron symbolize? Garden?
- Interpret the action of Judas in the garden of Kidron.
- What action is indicated by Jesus' passing over the brook Kidron?
- Are spiritual forces invulnerable?
- In what way are faith and love helpful in overcoming?
- Distinguish between Truth and the letter of the law.
- Explain the statement "Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof."
- What is the remedy for the state of consciousness represented by Barabbas?
- What is the general theme of John 19?
- Why does the sense man jeer at religion? What is the spiritual significance of arraying Jesus in royal robes?
- What is indicated by Pilate's vacillating attitude?
- Metaphysically explained, why was it necessary for Pilate and the Jews to co-operate in crucifying Jesus?
- What is symbolized by Jesus' seamless robe? In what way is this symbol helpful today?
- Discuss Jesus' great purpose in becoming one of the human family?
- Was spiritual man crucified on the cross? Explain.
- What in consciousness is "the Preparation"?
- What is the lesson taught in John 19:31-37?
- What is symbolized by Jesus' resting in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathaea?
- What is the inner meaning of Mary's looking into the tomb?
- Explain the Scripture "I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God."
- What is the significance of Jesus' words "Touch me not"? What do the two angels represent?
- What is the most effective way to comfort the bereaved? Does spiritual mind ever grieve?
- What influence does the individual Christian have upon the race?
- What does Thomas symbolize?
- How is the "peace of God, which passeth all understanding" acquired?
- Why is spiritual discernment necessary in understanding the Resurrection? Is the raising of Jesus' flesh body a "mystery"?
- Explain something of the law by which the Resurrection was accomplished.
- On what three planes of consciousness did Jesus develop power?
- How does Jesus quicken the bodies of men today? How does man co-operate with Jesus in the regeneration?
- How does man immortalize his body? In what way is science helpful in the regeneration?
- Is the resurrection of man's flesh body a part of spiritual evolution?
- Of what is the net symbolic? The sea?
- What is the spiritual significance of casting the net on the "right side"?
- Why does man sometimes fail to demonstrate substance?
- Discuss the symbology of the bread and fishes on two planes of consciousness.
- What lesson was Jesus teaching when He asked, "Lovest thou me"? Why must love go hand in hand with faith and the other faculties?
- Explain the inner meaning of verse 1
- In what way may the "manner of death" be said to glorify God?
- Metaphysically what is the "disciple whom Jesus loved"?
- What two attributes of the "mind of the Father" are necessary in claiming one's good?
- How may we "destroy the seeds of death" and implant health and eternal life in the body?
- Why is the resurrected body of Jesus not visible today? How can man follow Jesus' example?
- Paul said, "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." Explain.