Romans 8 with Metaphysical Footnotes (ASV)
Life in the Spirit
8:1There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. 8:2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus1 made me free from the law of sin and of death.2 8:3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 8:4that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 8:5For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 8:6For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace: 8:7because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be: 8:8and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
8:9But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 8:10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.8:11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you.3
8:12So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh: 8:13for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,4 these are sons of God. 8:15For ye received not the spirit of bondage again unto fear; but ye received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 8:16The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: 8:17and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him.
- law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus is the activity of the principle of Absolute Good in man's consciousness. When active in the hearts of men it will inspire them to turn to God for guidance, so that divine wisdom and love will be expressed in the earth. Each person will be as conscious of all the family of God as he is of "self" and he will be divinely alive to the purpose and needs of his fellow men. Series 1 - Lesson 6 - Annotation 18
- law of sin and of death is the operation of a secondary or a mental law that man has put into activity by the wrong use of his power to think and feel. It is the operation of the mental law of cause and effect based on an error belief... The mental law of cause and effect, while it shows the justice of God, has no saving power of itself. Series 1 - Lesson 6 - Annotation 17
- through his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Few Christians realize the vital truth in this statement by Paul, although it is but one of many of like character to be found in his writings. Paul taught that what Spirit did for Jesus it would do for all who follow Him and adopt His methods of spiritual self-development. Jesus Christ Heals 193.
- For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. When we become conscious of our oneness with God we are in the "spiritual body" and, being "led by the Spirit," are, therefore, sons of God, God beings. It is while we are in this consciousness of identity with the Christ within us that healing for others or for ourselves takes place, that inspiration is born, or that illumination enlightens us. Unity January 1932
8:18For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward. 8:19For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing1 of the sons of God. 8:20For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but by reason of him who subjected it, in hope 8:21that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God. 8:22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 8:23And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for our adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 8:24For in hope were we saved: but hope that is seen is not hope: for who hopeth for that which he seeth? 8:25But if we hope for that which we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
8:26And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself maketh intercession for us2 with groanings which cannot be uttered; 8:27and he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
8:28And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good,3 even to them that are called according to his purpose. 8:29For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren: 8:30and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
- expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing. Spiritual evolution is the unfolding of the Spirit of God into expression. The Christ or Son of God evolution in man is plainly taught in the New Testament as the supreme attainment of every man. Metaphysical meaning of evolution (rw)
- the Spirit himself maketh intercession for us. A subtle clue that immanent Spirit makes an intercession to the transcendent Father. Everyone who depends upon the enabling power of the Holy Spirit learns through prayer that he gains what he seeks, when his desire is toward God and the direction of his thought is inclined toward what is right. Every prayer that is in harmony with Truth (“according to the will of God”) is an intercession of the Holy Spirit become active in man. As one element of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit makes union with Divine Mind (The Father), and is heard.
- to them that love God all things work together for good. The very circumstances in your life that seem heartbreaking evils will turn to joy before your very eyes if you will steadfastly refuse to see anything but God in them. Bondage or Liberty, Which? 35. Refer to Ed Rabel Nothing But Good and Mysteries of Genesis Joseph Sold into Slavery: the faculty of imagination, if it has been trained and disciplined, will work for the good of man even in the darkened realm of sense (Egypt). Though the purpose in selling Joseph into Egypt was error, the result proved to be good.
God's Love in Christ Jesus
8:31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 8:32He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things? 8:33Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth; 8:34who is he that condemneth? It is Christ Jesus that died, yea rather, that was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 8:35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or anguish, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 8:36Even as it is written,
For thy sake we are killed all the day long;
We were accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
8:37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 8:38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 8:39nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God,1 which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- shall be able to separate us from the love of God. God cannot be separated from His creation because, as these lessons have already emphasized, He is the cause of all creation, the source from which it comes forth. He is the life, substance, and intelligence that maintains and sustains man and the universe. Lessons In Truth - Lesson 2 - Annotation 8
Fillmore Study Bible annotations by Mark Hicks
Following Entry: Rom. 9